Thursday, March 31, 2011

unsocial networking

As all (three) of you may recall, nearly a year ago, my pace quickened and my step changed direction as God called me toward His marvelous light. I gave up eating out at all forms of restaurants for approximately 40 days. Grease and fries to the wind, what I found was a desperation within my heart that I had not known before.

So this year, after very little deliberation, and for purposes of earnest seeking (not purposes of traditional value), I offered up something near and dear to my heart. Yes friends, I have given up (drum roll) social networking websites. Goodbye Facebook. Goodbye Twitter.

As has been mentioned on more than one occasion by more than one friend, I was “addicted” to Twitter. While my Twitter use appealed to me for multiple reasons, i.e.; receiving updates about happenings in the world, having encouraging spiritual gems by learned men and women of God, and outputting thoughts and revelations throughout the day for various individuals to “enjoy”, I found myself referring to both accounts countless times throughout the day. Perhaps someone might find what I had to say interesting. Maybe someone “liked” something I posted, or maybe by some miracle I gained more than 30 followers on an account where I only knew approximately 6 people. I found myself mid-conversation, mid-car ride, mid-church service(!), thinking “Oh! That’s good, I should tweet that!”

After having gone without (and I do not mean to sound as if this is some life and death sacrifice) for 21 days, I am learning that having the approval of man (in the form of “likes”, “comments”, and “mentions”) is something I relied on for fulfillment in ways that I can’t explain.

Our behavior must be driven in a way that forces us to be humbled while acknowledging that we were created to glorify God alone. We must be careful to examine our motives and our behavior, with reverence to God’s word. Finally, we must ask God to search our hearts continually and pray that He finds a heart made pure and blameless before Him.

4 comments:

  1. thanks. great post. you're very right, and I don't believe I'm as brave as you (yet), but I'll take that quest soon enough. Its been on my mind ;) DG

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As day by day and minute by minute, we choose to make right desisions and obey the Lord, we are growing, we are becoming more like Jesus, and our faith is being strengthened. We dont just wake up one morning and find that we have become a godly woman or that the Lord has used us to bring forth much fruit. It happens step by step as we obey in each little area." -Sarah Mally

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time." -John Piper

    "I have one desire now - to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it." -Elisabeth Elliot

    ReplyDelete